Capell & Howard, P.C., founded in 1947, is based in Montgomery, Alabama with an east Alabama office in the Auburn-Opelika area. The firm provides legal services in Alabama and throughout the Southeast, in addition to serving a number of select national and international clients. Its services encompass a wide range of practice areas in which their attorneys are experienced and recognized.
Twenty-two of the firm’s attorneys are listed in The Best Lawyers in America. Designations have been awarded in the fields of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Construction Law & Litigation, Labor & Employment Law & Litigation, Real Estate, Corporate Law, Commercial Litigation, Civil Litigation, Trusts & Estates, Family Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Tax Law & Litigation, Banking & Finance Litigation, Securities Litigation, Environmental Litigation, and Employee Benefits.
As the Alabama member of SCG Legal, Capell & Howard has access to a network of capital-based attorneys in each of the 50 states, as well as attorneys in many foreign countries. This positions the firm to serve clients’ needs in multi-state transactions and at all levels of government.
Capell & Howard is proud of its heritage of public involvement and particularly of those attorneys who have gone from this firm into government service:
- Bryan M. Taylor — former General Counsel to the Governor of Alabama
- David B. Byrne Jr. — former Chief Counsel to the Governor of Alabama
- James H. McLemore — current Counsel, Alabama Housing Finance Authority
- George L. Beck Jr. — former United States Attorney for the Middle District of Alabama
- Richard F. Allen — former Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Corrections, and former Chief Deputy to the Attorney General, State of Alabama
- Champ Lyons Jr. — former Justice on the Alabama Supreme Court
- Kenneth D. Wallis — former Chief Counsel to the Governor of Alabama
- Judge John L. Capell III — retired from the Circuit Court of Montgomery County, Alabama
- Neal H. Acker — former Counsel, Alabama Housing Finance Authority
- Constance S. Barker — former Commissioner, United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Honorable Jerusha T. Adams — current Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- Blake E. Brookshire — current General Counsel, State of Alabama Personnel Department
- Chad W. Bryan — current Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama